About the report
This compendium (book) and its underlying database provides a comprehensive global record of bearing area of all winegrapes by variety and region (hence also country) for the years 2000, 2010 and 2016
The compendium, entitled Which Winegrape Varieties Are Grown Where? A Global Empirical Picture (Revised Edition) was produced by Kym Anderson and Signe Nelgen from the University of Adelaide. It is updated, revised and expanded from the first (2013) edition. It provides statistics and charts on global, national and regional winegrape varieties, including:
- Winegrape area by region and country.
- Global winegrape area, share of global area, and global ranks of each prime variety (alphabetic), 1990, 2000, 2010 and 2016.
- A comprehensive list of all known winegrape varieties (over 1700) including their share of world production and ranking, and all known synonyms (more than 1350).
- World’s top 35 varieties in 1990, 2000 and 2010 – including the top five red varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Tempranillo, Shiraz and Grenache, and the top five white varieties: Airen, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Trebbiano and Riesling
- Summary charts for each of the world’s top 25 countries and top 25 varieties.
- Fastest-growing and fastest-contracting varieties globally.
- National shares of top, top 3 and top 10 varieties, by winegrape area for each grape growing country – for 2000, 2010 and 2016.
- NEW: Indicators of how exotic each country’s own vineyards are and how widespread are each country’s own native varieties abroad.
- NEW: climate variables for each of the world’s 700+ regions
The underlying database supporting the compendium covers national and regional data by variety for 53 countries and more than 700 regions, for the years 2000, 2010 and 2016. National data for 1990 also are included, plus less-complete data for 1960, 1970 and 1980.
The data files, e-book, charts and tables can be downloaded free from here
About the source
Database: Anderson, K. and S. Nelgen, Database of Regional, National and Global Winegrape Bearing Areas by Variety, 1960 to 2016, Wine Economics Research Centre, University of Adelaide, September 2020.
Book: Anderson, K. and S. Nelgen, Which Winegrape Varieties Are Grown Where? A Global Empirical Picture (Revised Edition), University of Adelaide Press, 2020. Freely available as an ebook. A softcover print-on-demand version can be purchased from Amazon.
This report was funded by Wine Australia with levies from Australia’s grapegrowers and winemakers and matching funds from the Australian Government.